Ever considered doing a short story collection?

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

Ever considered doing a short story collection?

Postby CageSage » Wed, 04 Dec 2019 3:29 pm

Rath Darkblade

Re: Ever considered doing a short story collection?

Postby Rath Darkblade » Wed, 04 Dec 2019 8:20 pm

Yes - yes, yes, yes. :) In fact, I've been spending the last two or three weeks getting back to what I've been doing before I started taking novels seriously (in the last 2-3 years), which is writing short stories.

I wrote three shorts in one day alone. That should tell you how much practice I got at writing short stories! (Of course, they were not 30 pages each - I'm talking shorts, as in 1,000-odd words each). ;)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

Postby CageSage » Thu, 05 Dec 2019 6:43 am

Mixing up the lengths of each story in a collection is good - a couple of short shorts, a few longer pieces (3k), and one (or two) others??
The best thing about a collection of shorts (apart from the practice of writing tight) is that if you self-publish, the shorts collection can keep your name on the list for another 90 days - where the avid readers go to first! If I'm being unclear here, publish a novel, then 90 days later, publish the shorts - your name is on that list of 'new arrivals' for 180 days ...

Enzed
Super Important Member

Postby Enzed » Thu, 05 Dec 2019 8:26 am

Rath Darkblade wrote:Yes - yes, yes, yes. :) In fact, I've been spending the last two or three weeks getting back to what I've been doing before I started taking novels seriously (in the last 2-3 years), which is writing short stories.

I wrote three shorts in one day alone. That should tell you how much practice I got at writing short stories! (Of course, they were not 30 pages each - I'm talking shorts, as in 1,000-odd words each). ;)

Rath, I'm curious. Do your short stories have a common theme? When taken together, could they be used as say, chapters for a novel? I'm wondering if one story planted the idea for the next, or is there no relationship between them, especially those three very short stories you wrote on the same day?
Joss Shawyer
Amazon

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu, 05 Dec 2019 5:19 pm

Hmm. Not really a relation, Enzed, except that they are told in a (VERY) slightly naive first-person POV (but he learns quickly). All but one also feature a more worldly-wise (and wily, and unafraid to speak his mind) friend. ;)

The first-person POV gets into all kinds of trouble on account of his naivete, but he turns the tables by the end. In one short, he even turns the tables on his wily friend. :)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Enzed
Super Important Member

Postby Enzed » Thu, 05 Dec 2019 6:16 pm

Sounds intriguing. I've never tried to write short stories as short as yours. It must be difficult.
Joss Shawyer
Amazon

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sat, 07 Dec 2019 5:30 pm

Hmm ... not so much. I just checked: one story is just over 2,000 words. The others are ~1,500 and ~700, respectively.

I was once challenged to write a scene in 200 words, and once in just 100 words. I met the word count, but I'm not sure about how well they turned out. ;)

Return to “Resources”