How to Use Brand Names in Your Fiction

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
PaulE
Site Admin

How to Use Brand Names in Your Fiction

Postby PaulE » Thu, 15 Aug 2019 6:03 pm

"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." - Angel

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Re: How to Use Brand Names in Your Fiction

Postby Rkcapps » Thu, 15 Aug 2019 10:39 pm

I love that website :)

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Fri, 16 Aug 2019 2:43 pm

Hmmm. In other words, I can have a character eat at McDonald's, but I can't get him to pull a face and say "This thing McSucks, and I don't want to McEat it"? ;)

Can I have a character who's a McDonald's employee spit in a customer's burger? Real McDonald's employees have done that - and much, much worse.
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Enzed
Super Important Member

Postby Enzed » Fri, 16 Aug 2019 5:59 pm

I used real names of some businesses entities in my novel, but only where it was flattering to them, or at least not harmful. That made it very unlikely they would object should it ever come to their attention.

Where the situation was not flattering, I changed the name and location of an actual business. Some places were publicly owned, for example, a free camping site owned by a City Council, so there was no monetary damage to the 'owners' or caretakers.

I think it requires an application of common sense. If a writer causes a loss, they could expect a reaction.
Joss Shawyer
Amazon

Return to “Resources”