Hemingway Advice

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

Hemingway Advice

Postby CageSage » Sun, 11 Aug 2019 8:57 am

https://www.standoutbooks.com/ernest-he ... ng-advice/

I particularly like this: Write people, not characters

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Re: Hemingway Advice

Postby Rkcapps » Sun, 11 Aug 2019 3:21 pm

Love his iceberg theory:

If a writer of prose knows enough about what he is writing about he may omit things that he knows and the reader, if the writer is writing truly enough, will have a feeling of those things as strongly as though the writer had stated them. The dignity of movement of an ice-berg is due to only one-eighth of it being above water.

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Tue, 13 Aug 2019 7:21 pm

:) I like Hemingway's edicts about "Write what you know" and "Write people, not characters". It's the "Write what you know" that first got me into writing history. And "Write people, not characters" is absolutely true: who would want to read a book about, say, a noble communist? Only dyed-in-the-wool hard-core communists. Who would want to read about crooked bankers or greedy politicians? Only people who hate bankers and/or politicians.

OK, bad example. But the point stands: give your characters more than one defining feature. If they're (largely) noble, give them a not-so-noble feature. If they're (largely) villainous, give them a redeeming feature. Otherwise, they're boring.

I've read two anecdotes about Hemingway that I really liked, and I'd love to share them. :)

- F. Scott Fitzgerald remarked to Hemingway that the rich "are not as we are."

"No," replied Hemingway, unimpressed. "They have more money."

- In a Sun Valley restaurant, a stranger asked Hemingway for his autograph. "Thanks, Mr. Hemingway," the pleased visitor said cheerfully when he got the signature.

He passed the table again and said, "Hello, Mr. Hemingway."

Intoxicated by being so near the great man, the stranger permitted himself another walk past, this time calling out, "Hi, Ernest!"

Made further giddy by Hemingway's acknowledging nod, the man made one final pass, this time calling, "Hello, Papa!"

Hemingway lowered his beard and raised his arms. "Hellooo!" he roared. "And goodbyyyye!"
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

Postby CageSage » Wed, 14 Aug 2019 7:44 pm

I'm not sure about only writing what you know - I think writing what you're passionate about, what you'd love to know, the things that create the deep intrigue that ensure research of the driest subject matter becomes fascinating.
Write what you love, what makes your heart race ...

Return to “Resources”