Overnight success?

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

Overnight success?

Postby CageSage » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 7:55 am

Rath Darkblade

Re: Overnight success?

Postby Rath Darkblade » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 1:36 pm

Meg is write! Er, right! :D

Nah, no-one ever becomes an overnight success. I understand that now. I didn't understand that when I started writing, almost 25 years ago. Back then I was a star-struck stupid boy fresh out of high school. I thought I'd write the next big novel and sell a million copies. :P

But that was then, and this is now! ;)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 1:44 pm

Awesome find :)

inarticulateme
Forum Member

Postby inarticulateme » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 4:49 pm

This is interesting!

I've been told by a few people in the industry (and it's in the article too) - your first book is always terrible. Is this really true? Or does it more refer to the first draft?

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 5:14 pm

Rather than I say anything, watch this literary agent. She discusses this point.https://youtu.be/vTXKfLiEdRI

CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

Postby CageSage » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 8:46 am

I'd like to say this: I hope my first book (even if terrible) helped me move up (confidence and capability in skills) and improve with each new book until ...
My worst fear is to make each book at the same level of skill, so I'm happy to consider my first as my worst - and my most recent as my best ... so far.
And I tend to cheat when I say 'first draft' because it remains a first draft until I've finished all the RRR (Review, Revise, Rewrite) edits and am happy to pass it to a beta-reader. That is the (final) first draft, because I'm sure someone will come back with some comments, and if those comments make the story stronger, more meaningful, deeper, more encompassing - well, that's the time to start a second draft.
Just my opinion

inarticulateme
Forum Member

Postby inarticulateme » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 10:12 am

Thanks for the video link, Rach - the agent also makes some good points about self-publishing!

Cage - I'm still fairly new to the concept of Beta Readers and Critique Partners, but you've made some good points and although I've had a few close family members and friends read my very first draft, I think before I even get to a point of letting someone outside my circle of trust read it I will definitely go through the same process as you.

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 10:58 am

No problem, inarticulateme :)

Unfortunately, showing close family usually doesn't work unless you're lucky enough to have a spouse like Mrs King :)!

We really improve by leaps and bounds when we take on a critique partner and later an editor, but that first real critique stings! Be prepared! But know it's normal and you do get used to it. One of the Youtubers I follow, Joanna Penn, says what she does is let it sit a few days, then tackle it. We all learn to deal with critique/editors in our own way, you just need to find your way.

inarticulateme
Forum Member

Postby inarticulateme » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 12:00 pm

I'm definitely not ready for a CP yet...but when I am, do you have any tips on how to find one?

PaulE
Site Admin

Postby PaulE » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 1:17 pm

Try writing groups you're involved with (like this one). If you're feeling particularly brave, you could reach out on Twitter or FaceBook.
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." - Angel

Return to “Resources”