Where would your book go in a bookstore?

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
Rkcapps
Site Admin

Where would your book go in a bookstore?

Postby Rkcapps » Thu, 02 Aug 2018 2:02 pm

CageSage
Super Important Member

Re: Where would your book go in a bookstore?

Postby CageSage » Thu, 02 Aug 2018 8:56 pm

I'm a bit concerned about the magic realism bit ... was HP magic realism? or fantasy? or both?

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu, 02 Aug 2018 10:28 pm

Harry Potter is fantasy.

I don't much care for newfangled classifications like "magic realism". That's a contradiction in terms. You may as well say "sci-fi reality". Or "reality TV". Um.

I also don't think that Stephen King is the master of horror. For me, no-one surpasses Edgar Allen Poe when it comes to horror (except maybe H. P. Lovecraft, whose books strike me as sci-fi mixed with horror anyway).

And where does the Discworld series fall into, if I may ask? It has a large dose of comedy and a large dose of fantasy, but it's firmly based on real ideas and real history. Is it fantasy? Is it comedy? The answer is neither.

And I've written heaps of historical fiction stories that have a heaping helping of comedy, too. Where do they fit in?

Oh, and I've read many (and written a few) long essays about historical counterfactuals - i.e. "what would have happened if...?" For instance, how would World War I have panned out without Rasputin's interference? So where do these fit in? :?

Not to mention that there's no mention of haiku, limericks, iambic pentameter, and other forms of poetry. :? I'm confused...
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Thu, 02 Aug 2018 11:07 pm

You're missing the point. Go into a bookstore and ask for Terry Pratchett, that's how he's classified. From memory, it's fantasy. Remember, this is a practical exercise, it's not saying you have to conform, just think, where do you think Dymocks should put your books so readers find them?

CageSage
Super Important Member

Postby CageSage » Fri, 03 Aug 2018 9:54 am

I've only ever seen HP in Fantasy or Children's, but that may only be Australia; maybe they do it differently in other places. I've only ever seen Magic Realism under Literary (and that was only in ABC shops!).
I once knew a person who worked in a bookshop, and when in doubt, he just put the books where the covers indicated they fitted.
That may say something ...

Return to “Resources”