A YouTube reviewer

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
Rkcapps
Site Admin

A YouTube reviewer

Postby Rkcapps » Thu, 12 Jul 2018 5:17 pm

This is a good book reviewer who tears apart Cassandra Clare in the first part of this video series. There are at least 4 parts. Even if you haven't read The Mortal Instruments, the insight she gives into a reader's mind is educational. It seems Cassandra Clare wrote Harry Potter fan fiction and just regurted Harry Potter ideas for The Mortal Instruments. I question if Cassandra Clare even realised what she was doing. https://youtu.be/8rhgvam-f4I

Jo, this reviewer really tears shreds into Cassandra Clare. She is a well known author in her genre. But, potentially, this (even on a smaller scale) is what we're letting ourselves in for.

mstary1
Very Important Member

Re: A YouTube reviewer

Postby mstary1 » Thu, 12 Jul 2018 8:16 pm

Wow, she is pretty thorough in her assessment. For my genre, I had many ages appraising my manuscript, from a 66 year old woman to a 10 year old girl. Most was very good, but two were quite negative. Probably the worst was from a publisher who said it had no X factor. I guess as authors we take the good with the bad.

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Thu, 12 Jul 2018 8:23 pm

Publishers have an extremely high standard! Like Cage says, it's about a good story well told. We don't need to read a super star to enjoy a good story.

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu, 12 Jul 2018 9:36 pm

mstary1 wrote:...Probably the worst was from a publisher who said it had no X factor.

In that case, that publisher is full of crap. :evil: Why in the world should your book be like a reality TV music competition? It makes no sense. I'm confused.
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

CageSage
Super Important Member

Postby CageSage » Fri, 13 Jul 2018 8:14 am

Probably he meant something completely different but is trying to be 'hip' by using modern terminology - however, TV shows do not relate to words on a page.
What I'd expect a publisher to be looking for is something fresh, unique, interesting - and well told.
We must also consider that anyone can call themselves a publisher (I do on my Smashwords site), or an editor - so we must beware and check the person's credentials. Thoroughly.

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Fri, 13 Jul 2018 1:54 pm

This is a good one too, about themes and attacking Cassandra Clare for not having any https://youtu.be/l964iTCawsg

Return to “Resources”