How Many Characters

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
CageSage
Extremely Important Member

How Many Characters

Postby CageSage » Fri, 06 Jul 2018 8:28 am

https://www.inkdeepediting.com/single-p ... characters

A very interesting read.
And this one:
https://jeanswriting.com/2018/07/05/how ... th-people/

has the best:
Signs your story has too many people, if a character…
- Doesn’t help promote the main character’s progress, moving the plot forward.

If the main character has/is in about 80% of the scenes, and a story has five characters ...

CageSage
Extremely Important Member

Re: How Many Characters

Postby CageSage » Fri, 06 Jul 2018 9:31 am

Reading a few more of the posts about the number of POV characters has helped me realise a problem with one of the stories I've been unable to 'finalise' - because the story becomes weak with so many characters getting a go at the main game.
Each character has their own beat-sheet, because they all have their own reasons for thinking they're the main story, and they all need a lot of work to maintain the connection to the reader - but too many ... and the connection is cut, twine by twine, until there's nothing left for the reader to grasp.
I may have to revisit the story and cut out at least two of the POV chars - and they're not going to like it. Today will be a day of murder and mayhem ... and I may have to learn more of the 'fly on the wall' cinematic approach to 'story moments' that need to be there, but don't need to be internal.
Does anyone else have this issue?

Josilver
Ultra Important Member

Postby Josilver » Fri, 06 Jul 2018 2:17 pm

My wip probably still has too many. I also have random extras. I am trying to combine them which is not as hard as I first thought. Each character has a purpose in moving the story forward, but sometimes they can be combined to serve multiple purposes, and I've tried to eliminate extras.

Instead of random CWA ladies interupting to stop heroine getting accross room to meet hero. Wendy and Ruth( we met in chapter 2) interupting to stop her getting across the room. Wendy and Ruth already have been described so the reader doesn't waste energy trying to imagine the scene and what they might look like and I don't waste words describing unimportant people.

Anyhow am rambling.

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Fri, 06 Jul 2018 4:38 pm

Of course, if you're the next GRR Martin, this is just another rule to break. But I'm not writing to become the next GRR Martin! So, that's sage advice. I think I've eliminated unnecessary characters but only a reader can tell me if I've been successful.

Return to “Resources”