Creative by deed

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
CageSage
Ultra Important Member

Creative by deed

Postby CageSage » Thu, 24 May 2018 11:01 am

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Re: Creative by deed

Postby Rkcapps » Fri, 25 May 2018 10:21 am

Excellent find!

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Fri, 25 May 2018 9:17 pm

The author of this article is correct. I work in accounting, a sphere of influence that is not usually judged as very creative.

For the most part, that assumption is correct. On a day to day basis, I have to keep track of thousands of transactions - who owes money, how much, what for, and how long - so when I call up the client, I can tell them why they owe money, and what they can do to pay it. I also keep track of when I call, what was said, and what the resolution was.

That part of the job is fairly humdrum. The creative part is when I use that data to (almost) instantly create tables that tell me, at a glance, how well I'm doing with this task. It tells me, for each client, how much is paid or not paid and the totals. Furthermore, I created a simple tool that tells me - in percentage terms - how well or badly I'm doing.

These tools are indispensable because, at the end of the month, I have to report to management and I can say: "Well, as you can see, I'm doing very well with these clients but not so well with this one - so I'll focus on that one." And so on.

Not only that, but whenever someone pays and I mark it off, my statistics are automatically updated. So it's a good feeling to see my stats gradually getting better, because I can see my hard work is paying off. :)

After work, of course, is when I indulge my writing side or music side (something usually viewed as much more creative). But if I didn't create and develop these tools at work, my job would be infinitely more difficult.
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Fri, 25 May 2018 10:14 pm

I have developed a spreadsheet where I record my work hours, how many I bill, percentages and if I am above or below what I need to bill weekly.

Currently "off line" for an unknown period of time

Return to “Resources”