Closure of the forum

Questions, answers and suggestions about the forum
Forum rules
Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet. If you want more privacy, use the 'Members Only' section instead.

Should we close the forum

Yes
10%
No - I will try to post more often
40%
No
50%

Total votes: 10

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Closure of the forum

Postby AJ Konlucko » Fri, 05 May 2017 3:25 pm

We are running a poll to see if we have any support to shut down the forum.

We have lost a few active members, people are not signing in as often and we are started to receive some feedback and complaints about the forum. If we close it down would anybody be OVERLY upset?

If we get most votes for "No - I will try to post more often" we would need to see a massive increase in the amount of posts on here and the general level of interaction over the next few months.

Currently "off line" for an unknown period of time

Terence Charles
Very Important Member

Re: Closure of the forum

Postby Terence Charles » Fri, 05 May 2017 4:52 pm

No!

Why is it a problem to keep it open?

If it is onerous for the present administrators why not hand it to someone else?
Terence Charles - 'ThiefTakers'
http://terencecharlesblog.wordpress.com

PaulE

Postby PaulE » Fri, 05 May 2017 5:30 pm

I agree with Terence.

I've been involved in other forums, and these things seem to go in cycles. It will be very active for a while, then some of the more active people will move on and it will go quiet, then other people will join and it will pick up again.

I know I haven't been as active as before, but that is down to being quite busy elsewhere at the moment. That won't last, and I'd be very disappointed if this forum weren't here when I free up more time.

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Fri, 05 May 2017 5:35 pm

Basically for the amount of work that we are putting in, we want to see more ACTIVE users. I would expect that we would be seeing people posting about what they are doing, seeking ideas, bouncing around writing pieces and looking to engage with other writers, this is not happening much.

We have lost some VERY active members for a few reasons and since this the forum seems to have died.

I am keen to hand over control to somebody else and I think Rachel feels the same way. The negative feedback and emails going around have not helped...

Currently "off line" for an unknown period of time

Enzed
Super Important Member

Postby Enzed » Fri, 05 May 2017 6:01 pm

I haven't read any negative feedback or received a single negative email about the forum.

The attack on Paul PGW by a person or people who know him from other forums may have had an effect on others being less willing to share their work so publicly. If that person / persons joined this forum to attack someone, how can we be sure they are not also stealing work? It would be giving them an awful lot of power to close the forum because of them. The bullies win.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of our members are sharing work with each other through private messages. There are many trustworthy individuals here willing to read each others work and send back helpful suggestions. What's wrong with that? Is that method considered less valuable and if so, why?

I for one often search the forum's historic links to read articles I was unable to read at the time they were posted. It would be such a waste to throw away all that valuable information.

Joss
Joss Shawyer
Amazon

PaulE

Postby PaulE » Fri, 05 May 2017 6:08 pm

I've offered before, and happy to offer again to help out with some of the admin tasks. As mentioned, I do have a few time constraints at the moment, but I usually have a little time each day to come and browse the forum. As long as it's not too time consuming, I can help out. I may have more time from July to spend a bit more time on the forum.

I also haven't seen the negative feedback, but if people are whinging because it's quiet on here, then I'd be asking them to step up, rather than put the blame on everyone else.

Warchild
Very Important Member

Postby Warchild » Fri, 05 May 2017 6:23 pm

I have not been hugely active here (I look every day but don't post often) but that is due to my husband going through court and now being jailed for the next three years, so I also have not been writing much. Too preoccupied with trying to pay two mortgages on one income and saving every penny I can.
I write under MJ Hawken and MJ Crispin. I love writing fantasy with a bit of romance!
Feel free to ask me anything about horses :)

:cry: Currently very sad because my laptop with all my stories on it is gone... :cry:
-UPDATE: It's a miracle, the laptop lives! Am backing everything up straight away! :lol:

https://mjhawken.wordpress.com/

~You are free to make any choice you like, but every choice has consequences.~

Terence Charles
Very Important Member

Postby Terence Charles » Fri, 05 May 2017 7:23 pm

Like others have stated I haven't seen any negative statements about the forum.

I'm onlky aware of Rob leaving recently, and that he said was because of how he was feeling at the time. I don't tend to tell people what I'm doing, thinking about, fiddling with etc. That would be a good reason to close down any forum if I did!

Paul says:-
I am keen to hand over control to somebody else and I think Rachel feels the same way. The negative feedback and emails going around have not helped
I thought that Paul had already handed over control to Rachel? Is there a problem there that we don't know about? If Rachel is having a hard time and receiving bad emails then perhaps we should know about it, and maybe help somehow.

As PaulE says I'm sure that there are a number of members who would help out with the admin' tasks if they are becoming too much.

Why not explore this route before considering closing the thing down?
Terence Charles - 'ThiefTakers'
http://terencecharlesblog.wordpress.com

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Fri, 05 May 2017 8:12 pm

I, too, am not keen to see the forum shut down.

I haven't been posting as much recently, because I've preoccupied with other things - i.e. rehearsing for two concerts within the past 3 weeks, and preparing for my overseas trip. (I'm leaving for the UK in 2.5 weeks, and returning about 2 weeks after that).

I would be very sad to see this forum close. As PaulE pointed out, these things - i.e. a high level of activity, followed by quiet periods - tend to be cyclical. So were I to be in the admins' shoes, I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Of course, if people are being attacked verbally on the forums here... well, that's a different matter. But surely, that's why the administrators and moderators have the power to ultimately ban the bullies.
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Enzed
Super Important Member

Postby Enzed » Fri, 05 May 2017 8:17 pm

Warchild wrote:I have not been hugely active here (I look every day but don't post often) but that is due to my husband going through court and now being jailed for the next three years, so I also have not been writing much. Too preoccupied with trying to pay two mortgages on one income and saving every penny I can.

Warchild, you're certainly having an extra tough time and you're very brave for sharing that. I'm sure we're all sympathetic to your situation.

I haven't posted my WIP here. I used Rob for (paid) Beta-Reading and editing. It was great to have a professional editor checking my work. When he reemerges and is once more available to offer his services I will be delighted to use him again. He polished Rachael's book for her and that resulted in an agent recommending it to publishers - a great result. Other members have also used his expertise.

Unfortunately I don't have IT skills so can't offer to assist with anything technical but I value the forum and read most of the posts. I do post when I have something relevant to offer. The original plan for the forum may have been to provide a platform for writers to evaluate one anthers work, but the forum has evolved over time and the members involvement influenced the outcome. I don't see anything wrong with that - things fluctuate and change. That's life.
Joss Shawyer
Amazon

Return to “Help”