I have introduced myself, I am on my second round though.

Browse here ... a few of our most recommended posts. A place to start...
writebychoice
Highly Important Member

I have introduced myself, I am on my second round though.

Postby writebychoice » Mon, 28 Sep 2020 8:44 pm

Hi,

(Please note, I deleted the story as a result of no feedback on it and to avoid plagiarism)

I introduced myself. Have been chatting to a few members here. I was not aware I could post a short story or chapter upon my introduction. I have a short story I wrote well over ten years ago now. I have attempted to get it published twice. I was rejected both times. I have never tried again and just put the story away. I have re-written and edited it that many times. At this point I am not really interested in trying to get it published again.

I would appreciate some feedback about it though. I have not forgotten that some people do not seem to understand the story. Perhaps, I am evading the story line in my writing, which makes it confusing for people? I am not sure? Either way, I feel immensely proud of what I have written thus far. I think it is beautiful to read personally. I am not really wanting to take the story further. I am happy with the length of it. It is only meant to be a very short story and that is what it is.

Anyhow, the story is about a young gypsy boy travelling with his gypsy family. Along the way, they have stopped for a few months rest from travelling. While in this village, he meets and falls in love with a girl. He is the type of boy that has never really had many girlfriends, due to never finding anyone he is interested in and because he is on the move with his family all the time.

I am not sure what I am ever going to do with this story. I possibly will have another shot at it at some point. I think I will know the right time. I am willing to work on it more. I am thinking that perhaps I could make the story a bit stronger when it comes to the characters. I feel that perhaps I am not being clear about who they are when I am referencing to some of them? I very rarely share my writing at all, so do try to be gentle ha ha. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Look forward to hearing back from you.
Last edited by writebychoice on Sun, 04 Oct 2020 12:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Words are alive, cut them and they bleed.
Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Re: I have introduced myself, I am on my second round though.

Postby Rkcapps » Tue, 29 Sep 2020 4:19 pm

Hey Lee,

Thanks for plucking up the courage to post something, it's only by letting our words be read by others that we improve :) Sitting in our 'rooms,' like an ostrich with its head in the sand, won't improve our writing.

Besides critiquing almost weekly for the past 5 years, for the past year I've also been part of a weekly video call with other writers and an agent. We constantly bring our work back, over and over and over again. I'm sure we all think the same, "yes, this time I've got it" and each week someone is confused by something we've written (and sometimes not, though it's rare; there's always something). We are masochists, lol!

Anyway, one thing I've learned from the agent; agent and editors alike can TELL when a piece of writing is over-worked (I hadn't realised that. So, my advice is to write something new, as hard as that may be. I understand that's not easy to contemplate; we've all been there.

A first critique stings and I'm reluctant to do that right now; you've had a tough enough week *hugs*

writebychoice
Highly Important Member

Postby writebychoice » Tue, 29 Sep 2020 7:06 pm

Hi RK.

Yes, you are right. It takes courage. I value your thoughts about this. I also value learning new things. I'm actually never going to publish this story. I have no real desire to work on it anymore. I reached a stage where I'm actually happy with it. I will keep it for my private collection. What I was looking for was feedback about the actual story. I wasn't very clear about that. I'm still working through so much. Sometimes I'm not clear.

Although my story might not be up to standard, I love what I've written. I don't want to work on it anymore. In saying that it's just a story now. I have a feeling you're not going to be brutal about it. However, I respect that you do not wish to do anything because of the tough times I'm in.

Thanks for writing and acknowledging my post.

Lee.
Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Tue, 29 Sep 2020 9:53 pm

What you could do is keep that copy for yourself and make another copy, incorporating critique into that. If you're game? Then you could compare the two stories afterwards. It could be like practice. "Writing" v "writing a story" are two very different beasts! And we need to practice.

I'll happily critique, but even if I'm saying I'll be gentle, when you first open it, I guarantee you won't believe I am being gentle. That reaction is like a rite of passage. It's a harsh wake-up call.

But when you're ready, I'm happy to help. I'm not sure now is the right time in your life though...

writebychoice
Highly Important Member

Postby writebychoice » Tue, 29 Sep 2020 11:44 pm

Hi RK,

It's a good suggestion. I can tell you one thing. I belong to a writers group where I live. I attend the groups. We are sharing our work all the time and critiquing. To be honest critiquing doesn't scare me at all.

Those pricks last Monday were really just being assholes. There is a difference between being an asshole and critiquing someones work
As for keeping my story aside and writing it again for the purpose of it being critiqued, it is an idea. I'll think about it.

I've got a fairly hectic week. The writers festival starts this Thursday and goes four four days and then my birthday is on Sunday. I'm attending the writers fest and have my days planned out. I'm pretty excited.
Ralph Waldo Emerson.

AJ Konlucko
Tremendously Important Member

Postby AJ Konlucko » Wed, 30 Sep 2020 11:44 am

Well done for sharing this.

writebychoice
Highly Important Member

Postby writebychoice » Wed, 30 Sep 2020 12:30 pm

Thank you AJ.
Ralph Waldo Emerson.

writebychoice
Highly Important Member

Postby writebychoice » Sun, 04 Oct 2020 12:23 am

I reported my own post and did not mean to. Sorry!
Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Return to “New to AWF?”