Call for writers to participate in RMIT research project about publishing contracts

Questions, answers and suggestions about the forum
Forum rules
Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet. If you want more privacy, use the 'Members Only' section instead.
Rkcapps
Site Admin

Call for writers to participate in RMIT research project about publishing contracts

Postby Rkcapps » Mon, 24 Jun 2019 5:01 pm

AWF has been approached to help assist with some research at RMIT University in Melbourne.

Can you help? If you're able, please complete a survey for the university's research. Help give other writers an overview of perceptions of contracts, in the industry (from self-published, published, and emerging writers).

This is document contains some information and a survey. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Please don't feel you have to be a member to participate. If you write your input is much appreciated.
Attachments
Publishing Contract Negotiations Survey – Authors [2][21545].docx
(44.32 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

Rath Darkblade

Re: Call for writers to participate in RMIT research project about publishing contracts

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu, 27 Jun 2019 12:06 pm

I would like to help, but I'm afraid I don't know much about publishing or contracts, so my opinion may not be very valuable. :( Can I still participate in this project?
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Re: Call for writers to participate in RMIT research project about publishing contracts

Postby Rkcapps » Thu, 27 Jun 2019 12:18 pm

I think so, I did it. Some of the survey may not apply to you, but there are questions for emerging writers too.

Enzed
Super Important Member

Postby Enzed » Thu, 27 Jun 2019 1:42 pm

I completed the survey and returned it.

Rath, there are questions you could answer such as your views on using an agent.

Joss
Joss Shawyer
Amazon

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu, 27 Jun 2019 10:34 pm

I've had a good look at the survey and tried filling it out, but I'm afraid that over half of it is irrelevant to me. :( I haven't published, I don't have a publisher or an agent, and I'm trying to find one, but it's not easy because I don't know which ones are legit and which ones aren't.

As far as I understand it, having an agent is only important if I wish to publish through traditional means (i.e. long-established publishers like Penguin, Random House etc.) If I'm going the self-publishing route, or if I'm publishing through the academic press, then I don't need an agent. Am I right?
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Return to “Help”