Being realistic about what you write

Browse here ... a few of our most recommended posts. A place to start...
Rkcapps
Site Admin

Being realistic about what you write

Postby Rkcapps » Mon, 09 Mar 2020 5:40 pm

AJ Konlucko
Tremendously Important Member

Re: Being realistic about what you write

Postby AJ Konlucko » Fri, 05 Jun 2020 4:54 am

I think this is very important and all too often something that is missed.

Rath Darkblade

Re: Being realistic about what you write

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sun, 07 Jun 2020 12:53 pm

"No matter what you write, someone will always think it sucks." ;)

There's place for constructive criticism. But people who read any genre (romance, sci-fi, fantasy, young adult - whatever) even though they know they're gonna hate them ... and then hate them ... well, what's the point of dealing with them? They're masochists. :P

The only way to deal with them is to tell them to go away and read what they do like. "Here's a reality check. Go cash it and take a vacation out of my life." :twisted:

There's nothing with books that are "light" / "escapist" / "humourous" / "frothy" - whatever. And there's nothing wrong with books that are "heavy", "realistic", etc. What matters is what you like to read and/or write.

Example: One of my favourite genres is history. Love it! I love reading about how people used to live, because it helps to make sense of the world today. :) But yes, there are two broad types of history:

1. "Heavy" history - e.g. telling the story of - say - the Roman military campaigns in Macedonia and Greece, and how they shaped Roman though afterwards; or telling the story of how people lived and thought in Britain during the Middle Ages, what they ate and drank, what they wore, etc.
2. "Light" history - also known as the "dipping in and out of history"-type books, like a book about "the strangest kings and queens in history", or "funny stories "- whatever you want to call it. (I have a book on my shelf called "Bonkers Britain", all about crazy English laws. Whatever). ;)

So what do I do? Do I just read "heavy" history, because the "light" kind is lightweight and not serious? Or do I just read "light" history, because the "heavy" kind is boring? :P The answer's easy: I alternate between them. I read one or two heavy tomes, then switch to a light one, etc. etc.

Anyway, what's the point of my rant? Basically ... people who ignore one "type" of book in favour of another, or one genre in favour of another, are limiting their own imaginations. So don't be like them. That's all. ;)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Return to “New to AWF?”