How long should a book be?

Browse here ... a few of our most recommended posts. A place to start...
PaulE
Site Admin

How long should a book be?

Postby PaulE » Mon, 19 Mar 2018 4:34 pm

Everyone has that behemoth of a book they one day want to write (well, if you write in the Fantasy or SF genre anyway). While established authors can get those things published, if you're a new author and want to go the traditional publishing route, then you may have a problem.

Check out this blog article to find some guidelines of how many words you should be targeting by genre.
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." - Angel

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Re: How long should a book be?

Postby Rkcapps » Mon, 19 Mar 2018 6:32 pm

Great read :)

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Mon, 19 Mar 2018 9:12 pm

It is a good read. :) So since I'm roughly in the historical-fiction-slash-mythology/fantasy market (switching between serious and humourous), I guess I'll be in the 80-110K category. Yippee. ;)

Incidentally, I saw the entry for the Wergle Flomp Humor Poetry Contest, and thought I might enter. A limit of 250 lines or less, eh? Shouldn't be hard to ramble on. I find minimalist poetry (like haiku) to be the hardest - so here, I'll write a 5-7-5 haiku to show what I mean:

When you are hungry,
Write a haiku that ends with
Refrigerator.
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

mstary1
Very Important Member

Postby mstary1 » Wed, 21 Mar 2018 7:31 pm

Agreed, a good read. I already knew I had to trim my historical fiction story down by at least 10,00 words
and that is easy enough to do. My Children's book is at 54k. A tad over but it covers from 8 and up, so should be ok.

Return to “New to AWF?”