Discussion on Prologue or no Prologue?

Browse here ... a few of our most recommended posts. A place to start...
Rkcapps
Site Admin

Discussion on Prologue or no Prologue?

Postby Rkcapps » Sun, 19 Feb 2017 7:34 pm

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Re: Discussion on Prologue or no Prologue?

Postby Rkcapps » Sat, 18 Jan 2020 11:47 am

Video by agent discussing prologues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9AWjRbsPww. Can't believe I haven't posted this before (and sorry if I have), now it's in the right place.

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sun, 19 Jan 2020 9:15 am

Ah! Well, now it makes sense why prologues shouldn't be written. ;)

When I wrote a (long, loooooong) story about 2-3 years ago, I thought it'd be nice to write a prologue as a "world-and-character-introducer" - i.e. it introduced the four main characters and the world they lived in. Then I saw that, although I made it dramatic and well thought-out, it was more or less a data dump. :oops: So I scrapped it and started afresh, and now the story is much (MUCH) stronger. :)

Thanks, Rkcapps! :)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Sun, 19 Jan 2020 2:07 pm

Pleasure :) It's fascinating to hear an agent's perspective. This is the agent who read my latest first chapter. A few subtle kind words and I knew it had to go (and it's worlds different to the one you read). Now the beginning is stronger and CP's agree. But, I'll live with that delusion until the next time he reads something. Just because CP's agree, doesn't mean it's infallible. And I love hearing how I can improve things.

Return to “New to AWF?”