Has anyone submitted to Allen & Unwin's Friday Pitch?

Browse here ... a few of our most recommended posts. A place to start...
Steph

Has anyone submitted to Allen & Unwin's Friday Pitch?

Postby Steph » Wed, 27 May 2020 8:13 pm

Hi :)

Has anyone ever submitted through Allen & Unwin's 'Friday Pitch' program and been asked to send the remainder of the manuscript? Can you confirm if they send a confirmation if they decide after that they don't want to pursue your manuscript?

What is the etiquette for sending to other publishers? Are you allowed to follow up on a submission after 2-3 months?

Very new to this!

Steph

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone submitted to Allen & Unwin's Friday Pitch?

Postby Rkcapps » Fri, 29 May 2020 4:54 pm

Yes, congrats on a full request.

I'm not keen on submitting direct to a publisher (just my preference because of my situation), so I haven't tried sorry. I'd personally give them 2 weeks to read and if they haven't got back to you, start submitting with other publishers. When you do get a 'yes' from the next publisher, don't immediately accept, out of courtesy touch base with these guys and say someone else is interested. Give them some time to read.

Create your own auction.

Good luck :)

Steph

Postby Steph » Sat, 30 May 2020 4:51 pm

Thanks so much to both of you for the advice :) I’ve sent a follow up email and will report back if I get a reply!

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sat, 30 May 2020 5:57 pm

Please let us know what their response is, Steph. Now I'm curious. :)

And welcome to the AWF, Steph! Please feel free to introduce yourself. What genre do you write? Where do you write? What do you do? Whaat...? ;)

I write historical fiction (with dashes of humour) - so, of course, there is no publisher for that genre. Pooh. :( People either classify it as "humour" (which it is, but only partly), or they think that historical fiction should only be deadly serious. Sure, fiction can be serious, but why can't it be humourous too?

So, yeah. Pooh. :(

There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Steph

Postby Steph » Mon, 01 Jun 2020 10:06 am

Thank you for the warm welcome Ruth!

That is fascinating and what a great way to help preserve some of the incredible stories of the past. Imagine how much more we would be able to remember if dull history textbooks injected some humour into them. The interesting footnotes and anecdotes have always been the best part!

This is my first attempt at both writing a book and looking into publishing so it’s been a really interesting and occasionally overwhelming experience! It’s based on the journals I kept as I went through 18 months of military training - a slightly different perspective from the usual enormous, strong, infantry male experience that’s usually available (I am none of those things!).

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Mon, 01 Jun 2020 11:36 pm

You're welcome, Steph. :) Just one thing: my "nick" (short for nickname) is Rath, not Ruth. A 'Rath' is an Indian chariot, especially one for transporting idols for ceremonial purposes. It is also, in Ireland, an earthen wall that serves as a fort and residence for a tribal chief. ;)

I've been writing history for about 15 years now, although I only took it seriously in the past 3-4 years or so.

Hmm. Which part of the armed forces were you in, if you don't mind me asking? As part of my stories, I've described the armed forces of ancient Greece, Rome, Sardinia and Babylon, as well as the Vikings, Aztecs and Victorian English. So I'm curious. :)

Obviously the weapons and uniforms would be very different! :lol: I wouldn't expect to encounter (for instance) a Victorian cuirassier, an Aztec atl-atl thrower or a Roman legionary in the modern army. ;) But their functions would be similar: a cuirassier, with his swift horse, good protection and sabre, would perform shock duties like a modern tank. An atl-atl thrower would keep the enemy at bay, like a modern artillery force. A Roman legionary would be like the modern infantry, pinning the enemy down while other branches of the army do their stuff; and so on. :)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Return to “New to AWF?”