Closure of the forum

Questions, answers and suggestions about the forum
Forum rules
Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet. If you want more privacy, use the 'Members Only' section instead.

Should we close the forum

Yes
10%
No - I will try to post more often
40%
No
50%

Total votes: 10

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Re: Closure of the forum

Postby Rkcapps » Fri, 05 May 2017 9:19 pm

I am willing to follow everyone's wishes. I won't be going anywhere. I'm only at the start (well of work I'm willing to share) of my writing journey. I also like to browse and add to the resources. My rehab comes first but I'm here everyday and, if I can do more, I'm happy to. I think this site offers a wealth of information for the new writer. There are at least 10 guests throughout the day and a new member every week (that I've noticed).

With the negative comment, it was sent to Paul direct who shared it with me. I chose to take away from that - the rules have vanished! We must fix.

Kudos to you Warchild, writing a story with all you're coping with :)

FYI Peter handed over 2 roles. One to Paul (that's the onerous role requiring active work. Am I right, Paul?) and Treasury to me. I just ensure the bill to run the forum is paid, which I'm ready to pay this month.

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Fri, 05 May 2017 11:48 pm

My thoughts are irrelevant because I've wimped out, but FWIW...

I think the way forward, if any, is not by current members posting more, but by attracting many more newbies. We used to get 7-12 every week (not counting the spammers); now it's a trickle (as Rachel said). Attracting newbies can't be done from within the forum; it takes a LOT of effort and time doing other things, which I've documented elsewhere.

This is important because there's always going to be an attrition of activity from extant members, and only a small proportion of new members ever become active. It needs to be managed in terms of turnover, not a static status quo.

If the decision is to kill the forum, let it be because we aren't able to do the recruiting tasks, not because the current regulars are winding down.
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Terence Charles
Very Important Member

Postby Terence Charles » Sat, 06 May 2017 12:38 pm

Hi Rachel,

I didn't understand your comment?
I chose to take away from that - the rules have vanished! We must fix.
What does this mean?

Regarding Pauls suggestion of closing the forum . I seem to remember that Paul had a number of negative emails previously, prior to his resignation from this forum.
They were found to be from some person who had followed him from his work or from other forums. Is this a repititon of the same thing?
Terence Charles - 'ThiefTakers'
http://terencecharlesblog.wordpress.com

Enzed
Super Important Member

Postby Enzed » Sat, 06 May 2017 3:20 pm

It would be helpful if we could read the offending email being referred to. We don't need to know who sent it. Can it be posted here please? That way nobody gets singled out for criticism.

I too wondered about what Rachael meant by vanishing rules. ?
Joss Shawyer
Amazon

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Sat, 06 May 2017 3:29 pm

Go to the Board, click on rules under the forum administration and they're gone. I remember reading them so since then they've vanished.

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Sat, 06 May 2017 3:48 pm

I was asked to delete all of the non-forum web pages, such as the rules, resources, writing challenge submissions, etc.
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Sat, 06 May 2017 3:54 pm

That would be it. I think we need to recreate the rules. Shall I have a go?

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Sat, 06 May 2017 4:00 pm

I'll leave that for you and Paul to negotiate. It might be prudent to wait until the decision about the fate of the forum has been made.

I can probably find a back-up copy of the previous page for you to plagiarise ;) if that would help.
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Sat, 06 May 2017 4:09 pm

I sense the consensus is to keep it and pass on Paul's role so he can move on? He'll be busy soon with a new baby so we will need to act before then. Am I right?

A copy to plagerise would be great!

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Sat, 06 May 2017 6:46 pm

Rkcapps wrote:...A copy to plagerise would be great!

The guts of the rules page is now here. Ignore the errors; they're happening because that page relies on other stuff that I didn't upload.

Since you're the official site owner—and are paying the bills—you can change the rules as you see fit. If you want to know the background or rationale behind anything, holler.
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Return to “Help”