Member Request - "Adult Board"

Questions, answers and suggestions about the forum
Forum rules
Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet. If you want more privacy, use the 'Members Only' section instead.
AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Member Request - "Adult Board"

Postby AJ Konlucko » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 12:03 pm

Hi all.

A member has contacted me via email to ask if an "adult" section could be added to the forum, possibly with a password to limit access. This would be used to share and discuss "adult" related writing topics, some of which might not be suitable for all members.

Thoughts on if we want to go down this path?

Paul

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Re: Member Request - "Adult Board"

Postby AJ Konlucko » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 1:12 pm

Thanks Rob.

The advantage of using a password protected board is that members who don't want to even see the posts won't.

PaulE

Postby PaulE » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 2:14 pm

I suppose it would also be useful if we have any under-18s on the forum, though I don't know if there is an age verification process you can reliably use.

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 2:22 pm

PaulE wrote:I suppose it would also be useful if we have any under-18s on the forum, though I don't know if there is an age verification process you can reliably use.

Good point and not something I am sure we can set up. I guess it would be a case of members asking for the password and us (me) confirming they are over 18...

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 3:23 pm

The way kids stumble across the inappropriate these days, I'd recommend it.

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 3:26 pm

Rkcapps wrote:The way kids stumble across the inappropriate these days, I'd recommend it.

Very good point and something we need to be mindful of.

I was thinking of making it a section under "Writing Discussion" with a password for access. I guess I am mindful of not upsetting some members who might prefer to not see that sort of material.

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 4:29 pm

I will give it a few days to see if anybody has any major issues with doing this.

Enzed
Ultra Important Member

Postby Enzed » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 4:49 pm

I agree that password access is very wise given the numbers of young people surfing.
The members who aren't interested in reading 'adult' content won't want notification of every new post in that section.
Joss Shawyer
Amazon

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 4:54 pm

Enzed wrote:I agree that password access is very wise given the numbers of young people surfing.
The members who aren't interested in reading 'adult' content won't want notification of every new post in that section.

That is why having a password is a good idea, it won't show up in "new posts" unless you enter the password. I am working out what the best way to do it is.

Enzed
Ultra Important Member

Postby Enzed » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 5:15 pm

An 'adult' section doesn't interest me. There are so many excellent links on the forum I haven't read, and am having trouble keeping up with. There's so much on the forum I do want to read when I get the time. I'd prefer not to receive any notifications of posts relating to an adult section if it's possible to set it up like that. It would be helpful because It would save time when checking and reading emails. I hope that's not too difficult from a technical point of view.
Joss Shawyer
Amazon

Return to “Help”