Where should we head

Questions, answers and suggestions about the forum
Forum rules
Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet. If you want more privacy, use the 'Members Only' section instead.
AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Where should we head

Postby AJ Konlucko » Sat, 22 Oct 2016 2:27 pm

Our forum is great, but where do we want it to go? What do we want it to look like in 6 or 12 months time?

Throw any ideas or suggestions around so we can work out what can be done different / better.

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Re: Where should we head

Postby AJ Konlucko » Sat, 22 Oct 2016 4:14 pm

That is great feedback, knowing that what we have now is what members want is great to hear.

I have not used Twitter much, anybody want to step up and take this on?

Shaggy Dog
Extremely Important Member
Location: Southern part of Westoz in the general direction of 'along'.

Postby Shaggy Dog » Sat, 22 Oct 2016 4:36 pm

Paul,
I think AWF should stand back and try and assess what a new writer would like to find on the forum and for that matter some form of structured mentoring rather than up front critiques could be of value. I do think a lot fail before they really get started as they are possibly trying too hard and with expectations beyond their actual ability when they first have a go at this writing business.
To me simple short story writing is the way to start until one has a grip on the basics of writing as a craft. Forget the novel for a time, learn to write and tell a story first.
Take it easy.
SD
Let's do a three sixty and get out of here !

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Sat, 22 Oct 2016 5:03 pm

Here's some items from my to-do list:
  • Rejuvenate the staff responsibilities.
  • More site promotion/PR.
  • Better site monetisation (eg, dropping hints about donations and/or placing ads and/or seeking sponsors).
  • Convert the site's non-forum web pages to a Content Management System (eg, concrete5). Not only would this make them look better, but it would enable users to update their member details, etc. (I did make some progress on this!)
  • More formal system for managing reviews; eg, a repository of documents submitted for review, and records kept of who reviewed what. This could increase the visibility of the reviews process which is very important to many people, and could be used to ensure that reviewers aren't exploited and are somehow rewarded.
  • Drive more contributions to the resources pages.
  • Additional extensions to the forum software (eg, +1/'like' button).
  • Better chat system, to facilitate its use for real-time writing events, etc.
  • Better way to prevent spam (eg, moderating all posts by new members).
  • More robust email notifications (currently, they are sometimes blocked by hotmail).
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Sat, 22 Oct 2016 6:38 pm

I must say that I've been writing years and it wasn't til I thought I can't attend a normal writer's group that I found this one online. My point being, I had to specifically look for it. Getting the word out AWF exists is a great idea! We have a lot of members either redundant or not having confidence to speak up or share. I'd like to see participation increase. I'm happy to start promoting on Twitter, Lindekin, facebook and Instagram. Any other people like to share a promotion if I word something (to save you time)? I like SDs comment. I don't know how to fix it though! I need to go through the resources but from what I've seen it's fairly comprehensive.

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sat, 22 Oct 2016 7:39 pm

R Munro wrote:What's wrong with it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Rob... I think you mean "if it ain't baroque, don't fix it." There, FTFY. ;)

Feel free to insert your favourite piece of baroque music here... ;)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Shaggy Dog
Extremely Important Member
Location: Southern part of Westoz in the general direction of 'along'.

Postby Shaggy Dog » Sat, 22 Oct 2016 7:48 pm

Sound the trumpets. Alison Balsom
SD
Let's do a three sixty and get out of here !

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Sat, 22 Oct 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks for that list Peter. I will start making a plan to look at some of them.

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Mon, 24 Oct 2016 4:07 pm

I wish I could... I wish I had more time at times...

Terence Charles
Very Important Member

Postby Terence Charles » Thu, 03 Nov 2016 4:43 pm

Hi, having seen a little on the forum about the most impressive looking book released recently, 'Terror in the Ranks', and having just consigned my 3rd book of the ThiefTaker Series, 'The Only GOOD Terrorist...' to that great black hole called EBooks, I wondered whether it may be a popular idea to institute a 'MEMBERS RECENT RELEASES' item on the Board Index?
An arbitrary term for recent, (one month, six months, one year,) A thumbnail of the front cover, and a small introduction to the plot, and where to get it.
It may give us members a better idea what other members are writing, and something to discuss. Guests to the forum would gain some idea of the diversity of the current membership, and maybe a reason to join. Might even sell a book or an article!
Terence Charles - 'ThiefTakers'
http://terencecharlesblog.wordpress.com

Return to “Help”