What do YOU want from the forum

Questions, answers and suggestions about the forum
Forum rules
Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet. If you want more privacy, use the 'Members Only' section instead.
Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Re: What do YOU want from the forum

Postby Peter McLennan » Thu, 04 Aug 2016 2:27 pm

Ooops! Part of the problem is that I made a copy-and-paste error with my proposal. 'Reviews' should remain a top-level forum, with the result that there would be less sub-forums under 'Writing Resources/Information'.

This also means that there is a 'regulars only' and 'private forums' sub-forum within 'Reviews'. These were originally created in response to concerns about the level of visibility of the main 'reviews' section. I'll admit that they've been little used.

Paul, you seem to be proposing to not have genre-specific sub-forums, unless I'm misunderstanding you. This was one of the main motivations for restructuring, as forum-specific support was one of the most-requested features from the survey of lapsed members. Perhaps you're just proposing that we create such sub-forums on demand?

I've noted the sections you think could be removed. I'll see what's possible when it comes to reshuffling things around for real.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

AJ Konlucko
Tremendously Important Member

Postby AJ Konlucko » Thu, 04 Aug 2016 2:33 pm

Peter McLennan wrote:Paul, you seem to be proposing to not have genre-specific sub-forums, unless I'm misunderstanding you. This was one of the main motivations for restructuring, as forum-specific support was one of the most-requested features from the survey of lapsed members. Perhaps you're just proposing that we create such sub-forums on demand?

I believe in creating sub-forums when and as a need arises where the current level of posts on that topic are drowning out other posts. If genre-specific sub-forums are requested they need to have enough use to make them worthwhile. I personally think it is much better that we have a few active sub-forums instead of a lot with few posts in them and little use.

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Thu, 04 Aug 2016 3:27 pm

*nods*

We're certainly suffering from my over-zealous creation of new sections in response to ideas that don't take off. If the software allowed it, I'd give you permission to delete sections that I create. ;)
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

AJ Konlucko
Tremendously Important Member

Postby AJ Konlucko » Thu, 04 Aug 2016 4:36 pm

Peter McLennan wrote:If the software allowed it, I'd give you permission to delete sections that I create. ;)

That could be interesting...

Return to “Help”