New board

Questions, answers and suggestions about the forum
Forum rules
Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet. If you want more privacy, use the 'Members Only' section instead.
Thewritingteen
Forum Member

New board

Postby Thewritingteen » Sat, 21 Nov 2015 9:17 am

If possible, would it be ok to add another "members only" board for collab stories?
I think it would boost participation and would also leave them out of writing section. It would also have better, more consistent rules because under writing they vary (a lot).
Thanks in advance,
Thewritingteen
Motivation is hard, but so is writing. If you need 1 piece of motivation for one day when you write 1000 words, you can express that as M=W=H 1M(W(H))1D=1000W(M(H)). Simplified, that is 1D/1000. Therefore, because D=24 hours, 24/1000=0.024. That means that you should write 0.024 words per minute. Have you achieved the challenge?

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Re: New board

Postby Peter McLennan » Sat, 21 Nov 2015 9:34 am

I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts on this. It makes sense to me. All collaborative story topics don't necessarily have the same rules, but some general guidelines could certainly be provided. I can also see how increasing the visibility of such topics could increase participation and interest in the forum generally.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sat, 21 Nov 2015 12:22 pm

Sounds good to me. :) Perhaps people who write the same genre could collaborate on stories - e.g. collaborative romances, etc.
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 4:42 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me also :)

Currently "off line" for an unknown period of time

Star Greywood

Postby Star Greywood » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 1:27 pm

Why not :)

"It was suggested that I write this as a form of therapy, a means of finding absolution....
Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Estrella—but you can call me Star."

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 2:02 pm

Done: see here.

There's probably at least one other topic that could be moved into this section, but since it's run its course, I got lazy.

If my implementation needs tweaking, speak up.

Thanks for the suggestion, Thewritingteen!
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Thewritingteen
Forum Member

Postby Thewritingteen » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:36 pm

No worries at all, and thanks for supporting the concept!
Thanks,
Thewritingteen
Motivation is hard, but so is writing. If you need 1 piece of motivation for one day when you write 1000 words, you can express that as M=W=H 1M(W(H))1D=1000W(M(H)). Simplified, that is 1D/1000. Therefore, because D=24 hours, 24/1000=0.024. That means that you should write 0.024 words per minute. Have you achieved the challenge?

Thewritingteen
Forum Member

Postby Thewritingteen » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:39 pm

Just thinking out loud, would it be possible to put in a feature that puts what has already been posted in at the start automatically? It would save time and make things a lot easier (in my opinion)
Thanks again,
Thewritingteen

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Fri, 27 Nov 2015 6:36 am

Thewritingteen wrote:...would it be possible to put in a feature that puts what has already been posted in at the start automatically?...

That's also a good idea. Unfortunately, it would be a fairly in-depth modification to the forum software (which I didn't write), and there isn't an off-the-shelf add-on for it. Plus, I'm a bit over add-ons at the moment because the non-standard configuration that results makes it VERY difficult to upgrade the forum software. I've spent 15 hours on it so far, and I don't think I'm any closer!
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Enzed
Super Important Member

Postby Enzed » Fri, 27 Nov 2015 9:12 am

I'm sure these are all very good ideas, but why do they have to be inserted into this forum?
Maybe someone else could start a new board so Peter doesn't end up with yet more work.

Then this forum could simply provide a link to it, and anyone interested in those new activities could visit the new forum, join it and take part?

You could still post messages of upcoming events / activities etc here on this board. It would be a simple matter to click on a link to take you there.

This board works very well as it is. If the software doesn't accommodate some new functions, then it doesn't.

Maybe Peter should stop wasting his time?
Joss Shawyer
Amazon

Return to “Help”