Adding a feature to "tag" other users?

Questions, answers and suggestions about the forum
Forum rules
Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet. If you want more privacy, use the 'Members Only' section instead.
Star Greywood

Adding a feature to "tag" other users?

Postby Star Greywood » Mon, 05 Oct 2015 5:16 pm

Along with my previous suggestions around "like" buttons, "cheers", "informative" and so on, another feature that I think could be really beneficial here is the "Tagging" option

It allows users to tag one another by writing (for eg) @Peter McLennan and then when Peter next logs in he would have a notification to say that "Star Greywood has tagged you here". If you click on that hyperlink it takes you to the post in question.

I think it could be really helpful to those in group projects/following up on comments or critiques from fellow members etc

Is this something that the PHP platform has the ability to support?

Peter, I'm happy to inbox you the details of the other forum I'm referring to if you need it :)

"It was suggested that I write this as a form of therapy, a means of finding absolution....
Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Estrella—but you can call me Star."

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Re: Adding a feature to "tag" other users?

Postby Peter McLennan » Mon, 05 Oct 2015 5:40 pm

We're in an awkward situation, feature-wise. The chat thingy isn't compatible with the current version of PHPBB, so I've been holding off upgrading until a stable replacement comes into existence. Unfortunately, recent versions of PHPBB (from 3.1 onwards) won't run earlier modifications, and I'm loathe to install additional outdated modifications because that will make it even harder to upgrade.

This also means there aren't many modifications that run with the new version. The list is here. Note that I can't install any of them until I upgrade PHPBB itself, which at this stage, would mean foregoing the chat. We're kinda trapped!
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Star Greywood

Postby Star Greywood » Mon, 05 Oct 2015 5:42 pm

Hmm, that's a bummer!

I'll message a few of my techy/site building friends and see what I can come up with. I'll keep you posted!

"It was suggested that I write this as a form of therapy, a means of finding absolution....
Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Estrella—but you can call me Star."

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Mon, 04 Jul 2016 5:20 pm

Now we have upgraded, is this possible?

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Mon, 04 Jul 2016 5:31 pm

It doesn't ring a bell. The current version of phpBB still doesn't have as many add-ons as its predecessor (due to ditching backward compatibility). You can check out the available add-ons here.
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Tue, 05 Jul 2016 3:14 pm

I have had a look and can't see an add-on to do this :(

Return to “Help”