Working witrh my typesetter

Questions, answers and suggestions about the forum
Forum rules
Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet. If you want more privacy, use the 'Members Only' section instead.
Kaila

Working witrh my typesetter

Postby Kaila » Wed, 26 Sep 2018 1:17 pm

Hi there.

I just have one question and I hope someone can help please?
. My typesetter has used italics for all my photo captions. By now I have new pages of documents/photo's that mentions ships names in the caption, which are normally in italics. So he put the name of the ship in Normal case. I don’t know how to solve this. Do I just ignore the ship’s name and leave it in italics? I have to resolve this.
Many thanks

Rath Darkblade

Re: Working witrh my typesetter

Postby Rath Darkblade » Wed, 26 Sep 2018 1:58 pm

Hmm. Do you have access to the soft copy? If so, you can re-do this yourself if you like; if not, you can maybe ask your typesetter to re-do it for you? That's his job, after all.

Good luck :)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Kaila

Postby Kaila » Wed, 26 Sep 2018 2:01 pm

Sorry this doesn't appear to be my post. My question was specific. I hired a typesetter to get it right and a huge job. but he doesn't know the rules.
Did you mean this as an answer? It doesn't makes sense.

Kaila

Postby Kaila » Wed, 26 Sep 2018 2:24 pm

The question was. If photo captions are in italics do you still put ship's name in the same sentence in italics.

This has to be done by typesetter not me. I need to give him a directive.

CageSage
Extremely Important Member

Postby CageSage » Wed, 26 Sep 2018 3:14 pm

In the cases I've seen, if the words are in italics, then the Ship's name would be Not in italics. It is unusual to have the captions in Italics for photo captions - a title, yes, or a Chapter heading, maybe, but captions? unsure.

Is there such a job as type-setter still in existence? I thought they'd disappeared with the onset of e-formatting of books. If you have a type-setter doing the job, you must have a publisher, so the style guide for that publisher would set the standard, so that's who to ask.

Just my opinion, not definitive!

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu, 27 Sep 2018 4:18 pm

Ah, now I understand. I think that Cage is right - if the words are in italics, then the ship's name wouldn't be in italics. ;)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

amshoo

Postby amshoo » Sat, 17 Nov 2018 4:56 pm

Hi there. This is my first post and I hope it is helpful.
Your typesetter is correct to use Roman font (i.e. 'normal text') for titles/names/specific words in your caption when the caption style requires you to have italics for everything else.

Return to “Help”