Playing the Game

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
Rath Darkblade

Re: Playing the Game

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu, 12 Dec 2019 10:15 am

I'm puzzled at how writing can be reduced to the level of a game (as if it were Monopoly or checkers). ;) But there's lots of good advice here. The bit I agree with the most is this:

...no matter what your craft ... there will always be those who don't like what you do ... [but] throwing a strop against the reviewer is not only ignorant, but self-damaging.

Pretty obvious, right? :)

There is a difference between constructive and destructive criticism. There are people who think that saying "%^#$ you, you'll never amount to anything" etc., etc. is "honest criticism". It's not worth engaging with these people. Ignore them and move on.

I just started reading a book of musical quotations (a little light reading ;)), and here's one of the quotes about critics:

Critics are like eunuchs in a harem: they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves. (Brendan Behan, Irish poet, short story writer, novelist and playwright)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Return to “Resources”