The humour bit needs the most polish

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

The humour bit needs the most polish

Postby CageSage » Thu, 25 Jul 2019 9:34 am

https://careerauthors.com/writing-humor/

Personally, I think every story should have a 'light' moment for the reader - will I ever make it? We'll see, but I'll use this info for the if or when it happens.

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Re: The humour bit needs the most polish

Postby Rkcapps » Thu, 25 Jul 2019 6:49 pm

Salient tips, thanks for sharing :)

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sun, 28 Jul 2019 10:41 am

Not too bad, but I have a problem with the third one:

3. The Rule of Three: Whenever you make a list or a repetition, the third item is the funny one. “The wedding party celebrated with toasts, dancing and cannibalism.”

No, no, no! *waves finger* ;) That one works because it's unexpected. The rule of three only works because the third item is unexpected. Like "My shopping list consists of bread, milk, and fireworks." :P

As for words that sound funnier than others - let me combine that one with the Rule of Three and see what we get!

Ethel Wainwright, the station announcer at Victoria station, today married engine driver Dick Crankshaw. Her dress was of white organdy with a lace bodice, and her train was twenty minutes late.
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

Postby CageSage » Sun, 28 Jul 2019 9:00 pm

:lol:

One of my fav bits of humour is when the main character (who usually uses a whip to get away from the baddies) confronts the biggest baddie of all, but does he use the whip? No, the gun.
And the next movie, when a similar situation pops up, does he use the whip? No. The gun? He reaches for the gun, but ... it's gone!

Humour has a long reach, and worth the effort to bring it to the fore.

Wish I could do it ...

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Mon, 29 Jul 2019 12:55 pm

Ah yes, the Professor of Archaeology who Rarely Does Any Teaching, and who Wears the Brown Fedora. ;)

No whip? Use a gun! No gun? Just punch the guy. Uh-oh, that didn't work. Run! ;)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Mon, 29 Jul 2019 3:25 pm

This is the type of humour I like. Death is the narrator:

On Munich Street, Rudy noticed Deutscher walking along the footpath with some friends and felt the need to throw a rock at him. You might well ask just what the hell he was thinking. The answer is probably nothing at all. He’d probably say that he was exercising his God-given right to stupidity. Either that, or the very sight of Franz Deutscher gave him the urge to destroy himself.

Zusak, Markus. The Book Thief . Pan Macmillan Australia. Kindle Edition.

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu, 01 Aug 2019 11:36 am

That's ... quite dark humour there, Rkcapps. It reminds me a little (just a little) of the hard-boiled humour of the 40s and 50s.

Incidentally, I quite like hard-boiled monologues. The thing is, how long do you boil it? And do you add salt afterwards?

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Thu, 01 Aug 2019 2:53 pm

True, such a balancing act. Zusak does it with ease :)

Return to “Resources”