Pop up submission

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
Rkcapps
Site Admin

Pop up submission

Postby Rkcapps » Mon, 11 Feb 2019 4:43 pm

From about an hour in for about 5 mins is some awesome advice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib_leSt87xY

CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

Re: Pop up submission

Postby CageSage » Mon, 11 Feb 2019 6:40 pm

Which bit? the 'don't do an anthology' or the 'formatting that tells the world you're a psychopath'? Although, I did like both rants ...

If you want to submit to the pop-up, you need to use a Word97 format - all the others fail.

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Tue, 12 Feb 2019 1:40 am

After the prologue rant, the bit about honing your craft, the, "No, you CAN'T" and the rest. We're on the right path.

I love the comment about the Rigg piece, they said it was like reading "Lucy in the sky of diamonds." That cracked me up!

I've got Word 10 and it accepted mine. They do say some browsers don't work, you need a browser compatible with Javascript. If you have trouble, email me the bits and I'll submit for you. I submitted Spades a few weeks ago, I'd like to hear what an industry professional says.

But beware, they don't seem keen on fantasy, that's the trend. They're harsher on fantasy. I'm sure they don't mean to be, but they are.

I've been watching every week since PaulE posted about them (and the older ones) and I'm still baffled by what they like and what they don't. I feel they're prepared to overlook a bit of telling. Some of the ones they've liked, I thought bat-shit boring.

You should give it a go, it'd be a feather in your cap if you win.

They've had guest publishers, big publishers, a couple of times.

CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

Postby CageSage » Tue, 12 Feb 2019 6:52 am

I did submit a piece, and after it went through - an error popped up! C'est la vie!
So far, what I've seen of the discussion of fantasy is that they don't seem impressed with 'what's been done before' rather than fantasy itself. I can't recall any specific times or dates, but the words, 'we've seen so much like this' seem to ring a clarion bell.

Return to “Resources”