Genre

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
PaulE
Site Admin

Re: Genre

Postby PaulE » Wed, 06 Feb 2019 3:23 pm

Speculative fiction is a very large umbrella term, which would make it hard to pin one emotional response to it.

I consider horror speculative fiction, and you rightly point out the expected emotional response is fear. Hard SF is also speculative fiction, and that's more likely to prompt an intellectual response.

What, would you say are, are the differences between Magic Realism and Urban Fantasy?
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." - Angel

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Wed, 06 Feb 2019 4:54 pm

I definitely agree, genre determines the emotional experience the reader wants. Not sure how to differentiate magic realism and urban fantasy. Could you say magic realism is wonder based in a make believe world whereas urban fantasy is wonder based in a real world?

AJ Konlucko
Tremendously Important Member

Postby AJ Konlucko » Thu, 07 Feb 2019 11:05 am

This is an interesting discussion. Are the lines hard and fast or does some scope exist to fudge these a bit?

PaulE
Site Admin

Postby PaulE » Thu, 07 Feb 2019 4:53 pm

Quite comprehensive, though I see they have a "Fiction A-Z" for everything that they couldn't fit into a genre. I'm also not completely convinced about the allocation of age categories for some of these. No adult fairy tales or folk-lore inspired fiction? Horse stories (surprised it has it's own sub-genre) only for 9-12 year olds?

Genre is really only a marketing convention, so a bookshop knows where to put it on the shelf, or Amazon knows what tags to apply.

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu, 07 Feb 2019 8:40 pm

It's difficult to know what speculative fiction means. Fiction is - by its very nature - speculative. After all, fiction authors write stories about things that didn't happen. ;)

Does speculative fiction include counterfactual history? Or science fiction? Or fantasy? Or ... by rights, it should include all three, since they are all speculative. :)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

PaulE
Site Admin

Postby PaulE » Fri, 08 Feb 2019 11:30 am

I've always thought of speculative fiction as something that diverges from our current reality. That covers all types of fantasy, alternative history, horror, SF. Something that, while fictional, could actually happen (let's say The Fault in Our Stars) doesn't fall into that category.

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Fri, 08 Feb 2019 12:37 pm

I think you're right PaulE. At least, that's how I see it too.

Return to “Resources”