Genre

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
Rath Darkblade

Re: Genre

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu, 07 Feb 2019 8:40 pm

It's difficult to know what speculative fiction means. Fiction is - by its very nature - speculative. After all, fiction authors write stories about things that didn't happen. ;)

Does speculative fiction include counterfactual history? Or science fiction? Or fantasy? Or ... by rights, it should include all three, since they are all speculative. :)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

Postby CageSage » Thu, 07 Feb 2019 8:47 pm

From what I've seen in my mad meanderings around the 'net for information on how to label and categorise, I've found that 'speculative fiction' is the umbrella term for SF, F, H[orror & all its underlying similarity of emotion types], Urban-SF/F, [there might be one or two (or dozens) more ...]

And Yes, I'd agree that all fiction is speculative, except that it's real people in the story, isn't it? At least while someone's reading it ...
Maybe the issue is to find the sharpest emotional connection for the story, and then find the genre ...
Still looking, still trying to find 'it'...

PaulE
Site Admin

Postby PaulE » Fri, 08 Feb 2019 11:30 am

I've always thought of speculative fiction as something that diverges from our current reality. That covers all types of fantasy, alternative history, horror, SF. Something that, while fictional, could actually happen (let's say The Fault in Our Stars) doesn't fall into that category.
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." - Angel

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Fri, 08 Feb 2019 12:37 pm

I think you're right PaulE. At least, that's how I see it too.

Return to “Resources”