23 Ways to Improve Your Story

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
CageSage
Extremely Important Member

Re: 23 Ways to Improve Your Story

Postby CageSage » Tue, 01 Jan 2019 1:05 pm

Yes, I like seeing things 'turned around' so they are both exciting/unexpected and yet known/recognisable/different. I like that bad guys have reasons to be the heroes of their own stories, or even to be actual heroes. Baddies are only baddies according to the goodies, right? Or is it only that a story is a mirror?
I am Janus, seeing in two directions ... is my vision any less or more clear than ...?

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Tue, 01 Jan 2019 2:06 pm

"Well thank you for the weather, Agathon! Now it's over to Dasces for sport."

"Thank you! Good evening, everyone. Let's first take a look at the quoits - that's right, a new game invented by Perseus of Mycenae, which I am told is a bit like trying to throwing horseshoes over or near a spike set on the ground! Well, Perseus was just showing off his quoits, which are metal rings, and the people liked it and asked him to demonstrate. Well, he did, and ... "

"I'm sorry to interrupt you, Dasces, but we've just had a major political story in breaking news - it appears that Perseus's father, Akrisius, was killed earlier today and therefore Perseus is the new King of Mycenae! Yes, it appears that Akrisius was very unfortunately brutally hit on the head by a falling quoit as stepped onto the field of play to inspect the new game more closely. Naturally, his son Perseus will now take over the mantle of government. We now cross live to Mycenae, where Perseus held a press conference earlier today. Let's listen to what he had this to say."

(A wide, rolling, windswept hill. Perseus is talking, but no-one else is there to listen)

PERSEUS: "I'd just like to begin by lamenting the passing of my exalted forebear, and to swear everlasting vengeance upon the misbegotten wretch what dun 'im in. Woe to him! He shall perish! He had struck down falsely, viciously and with malice aforethought the late, lamented lord of Mycenae and my illustrious sire! Therefore, I urge you all to go forth and seize the miscreant - he shall die!"

(the only reaction is a raven, which caws, and a small mongrel dog, which stops to piss against a tree. Back to the studio.)

"Well, strong words indeed there from Perseus, the new King of Mycenae. We'll bring you more on this shocking affair as more comes to hand. Now it's over to Marcus for finance."

"Thank you, Thomatos! And in the world of finance, there has been absolutely no change. Um ... possibly because we haven't invented stock markets yet, possibly because it's the wrath of Hades, god of the underworld and money. The drachma is unchanged against the Roman denarius, against the Jewish shekel and against the Assyrian ... um ... well, now we now WHY the drachma is unchanged there - it's 'cos the Assyrians haven't bothered to create any of their own coins, so they're using other peoples' instead. Back to you, Thomatos!"

"Well, thanks for that scintillating update, Marcus. And in the world of art, the town of Athens was scandalised yesterday when everyone woke up and found that someone went around in the night and vandalised all the herms. As we all know, those are giant penises carved out of wood or stone and placed around the town as a symbol of fertility and good luck, and have nothing whatever to do with sex. At all. Aaaaaanyway, someone went around last night and smashed them all, which is obviously a terrible omen! Whatever we shall do, I just don't know. If anyone has any news of this horrible crime, please call HERM-VANDAL-STOPPERS ... er, no don't do that. Just talk to your local consul and he'll know what to do. Let's get those vandals! RRRRRAAAAHHHH! Ahem.

Well, that seems to be all we have time for tonight. Thanks for watching, and don't forget - ZEUS IS WATCHING YOU! Good night."
======================

Hope you liked this ... :)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

CageSage

Postby CageSage » Tue, 01 Jan 2019 2:19 pm

That sounds like a report from Canberra ...

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Tue, 01 Jan 2019 3:13 pm

From Canberra? Why, is the historical veneer so thin as that? :?

I was trying to achieve the feel that this could have been on the TV news only yesterday, yet the stories themselves are from the mythical age of Greece. Did I succeed? *crosses fingers*
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

CageSage

Postby CageSage » Tue, 01 Jan 2019 3:33 pm

Some things never change ...

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Wed, 02 Jan 2019 10:02 pm

Ah, yes. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose ...

Return to “Resources”