Want music in your words?

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

Want music in your words?

Postby CageSage » Fri, 28 Dec 2018 7:06 am

And emotion?
Read this:

https://twodropsofink.com/2018/12/27/5- ... this-year/

It all makes sense, doesn't it? Mastery of the words creates more. Feelings, rhythms, pictures - magic!

Rath Darkblade

Re: Want music in your words?

Postby Rath Darkblade » Fri, 28 Dec 2018 6:30 pm

Yes! :D Read what you're writing out loud and see how it fits together - and I'll add another point, one that I've gone into elsewhere: be careful with punctuation. Yes, there are rules to punctuation, but what it comes down to is this: punctuation is there to let the reader breathe before tackling the rest of your sentence or paragraph.

Don't believe me? Then answer me this: why is it that a punctuation mark always comes at the end of an idea? Think about it. Read this paragraph carefully, and you'll see that an idea ALWAYS ends with a punctuation mark - whether a comma, colon, hyphen, question mark, full stop, or what have you.

That's what punctuation means. From Dictionary.com:

1. to mark or divide (something written) with punctuation marks in order to make the meaning clear.
2. to interrupt at intervals, e.g. "cheers punctuated the mayor's speech".

So we can all see that punctuation exists to clarify what you write. Don't be afraid to use it right! Punctuation marks are your friends! :D Huzzah for punctuation! Huzzah! :D

Oh dear ... I just read the last two sentences and realised that I'm a writing geek. Whoops! :oops: ;)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Return to “Resources”