Be humble

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
Rkcapps
Site Admin

Be humble

Postby Rkcapps » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 9:08 am

Do you have an open mind? Do you listen with a discerning ear? https://www.writerightwords.com/be-humble/

PaulE
Site Admin

Re: Be humble

Postby PaulE » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 9:23 am

Another aspect of humility is continuing to engage with your fans in the same manner, no matter how successful you become. I have heard stories of some authors, once they become published and start to gain a following, dropping people they'd previously interacted with (from Twitter, their social circle, etc.).

I follow several authors on Twitter, and am friends with a few on Facebook. They all come across as completely genuine, and are truly happy that their work resonates with their readers.
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." - Angel

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 9:29 am

True. And 'engage' doesn't mean only 'promote'.

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 2:48 pm

I like that. :) Yes, there's only one way to grow as a writer: curb your ego for long enough to understand other people's point-of-view, what they think about your writing and why they think that. If you're happy to do that, then you will become a better writer.

Writers - both beginners and later - who pay no attention to critique never grow.

Just wondering: the person in the blog chooses the word "humbleness". I always thought it was "humility"? Just wondering. :)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

PaulE
Site Admin

Postby PaulE » Wed, 12 Dec 2018 3:28 pm

Yeah, I tripped over humbleness as well.
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." - Angel

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Fri, 14 Dec 2018 12:00 pm

Ah, here we go: apparently it should be "humility" (like "modesty"), not humbleness.

I don't understand this craze for putting "ness" after an adjective to create a noun. You wouldn't say "modestness", "strongness" or "longness", would you? :)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

Postby CageSage » Fri, 14 Dec 2018 1:00 pm

Unless you wanted to show how the character wasn't from the local language region ...

Return to “Resources”