The Value in Shorts

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

The Value in Shorts

Postby CageSage » Sat, 17 Nov 2018 7:35 am

Rath Darkblade

Re: The Value in Shorts

Postby Rath Darkblade » Mon, 19 Nov 2018 9:36 am

And here I was, reading the thread title and thinking that it would be about this. :lol:

Often first-time (or even experienced) novelists are tempted to develop characters using long flashbacks and back story. These sometimes take too much focus away from the main narrative arc, from what’s happening to characters now.

Guilty as charged - although in my defence, your honour, it was a first offence. ;)

Yes, I've been writing shorts for quite some time. I simply found them easier because they were shorter, not in spite of it. :)

The real challenge is writing shorts in 400 or 500 words (which I managed a few times), or in 100 words (which I managed once - it's not easy!) :twisted:
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

CageSage
Tremendously Important Member

Re: The Value in Shorts

Postby CageSage » Mon, 19 Nov 2018 10:08 am

for me, doing a short of less than 3k words is almost impossible! But working through a few shorts may help me get to the point, or to see the point, or to be more subtle, or ...
who knows?

Return to “Resources”