How to write funny

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
Rkcapps
Site Admin

How to write funny

Postby Rkcapps » Mon, 12 Nov 2018 7:41 am

Rath Darkblade

Re: How to write funny

Postby Rath Darkblade » Mon, 12 Nov 2018 7:59 pm

OK... he's obviously talking about subverting the audience's expectations. That's one way to write funny. ;)

So, here's one thing I did: the setting is Britain in Roman times. The Romans have landed and advancing on a small fishing village, where there's a kid called Will Shake-the-Spear. (So called because he's good at spear fishing. But what he really wants to do is write love poetry, which his dad thinks is a waste of time). :P

See? Will's name immediately indicates to the audience that there might be Shakespearean gags, and everyone thinks "OK, yeah..." and then we break the mold. ;)

Another thing we can do? How about this: Genghis Khan and his army storm a city. But instead of killing everyone, they recruit artisans and engineers, and make everyone else pay taxes. Not what you'd expect from someone with Genghis's reputation, right? But it actually happened! The Mongols didn't just kill people, you know. ;)

Anyhow, there's lots of other ways to be funny. Puns! Lots of puns! Horrible puns! The more horrible, the better! :P

Wordplay! Alliteration! Absurd similes and metaphors! Or how about political humour? For instance: "The state of the Australian Liberal Party reminds me of a firebug in a dynamite factory. I know someone's going to get hurt, but I'm too tired to care." :P

Try it yourself! Humour can be difficult to do, but it can be really easy too. Enjoy! :D
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Return to “Resources”