Young Writers Residency

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Young Writers Residency

Postby Peter McLennan » Sun, 16 Aug 2015 7:48 pm

Where: KSP Writers’ Centre, Perth Hills, WA
When: 10 days from Mon 23 Nov - Wed 2 Dec 2015
Salary: $650
Application deadline: 5pm AWST Fri 21 Aug 2015
Download guidelines and application form here.

Details: Three young writers (up to 25 years of age at the closing date of application) to be selected for co-residency placements at the KSP Writers' Centre. The residents will be given writing space and time to concentrate on, develop or complete a work in progress. They will also receive a mentorship session with a local professional writer in their genre, and be invited to participate in KSP activities.

The Selection Panel will be looking for talented young writers able to show application to the craft of writing. It is expected that the writers will have some published material in the print, visual or broadcast media. Ideally, applicants should be working towards achieving their first major full-length publication.

A KSP residency offers a private chalet located on the beautiful hills property, valuable credit and reference for a CV, life experience, salary, mentorship, the opportunity to perform a reading or conduct a workshop, a supportive community of fellow writers, inspiration, and the time and space to progress their own writing projects.

If you need more encouragement, consider some words from previous KSP Young Writers...

‘To anyone thinking of applying for a residency, I would urge you to do it. It’s a brilliant opportunity to escape from the hum-drum world of full time jobs and housework, and let writing and your craft be the number one priority in your life. Relax, let your interests take over, and you will reap the rewards of a truly artistic life. Enjoy all the benefits that this historic centre has to offer, and let Katharine’s spirit inspire you.’ Emily Paull, 2014

'The residency offers many things to a young writer: an inspirational environment in which to work, money towards living expenses, the opportunity to meet and exchange ideas with other writers, but perhaps most valuably, the residency is a validation of the choice to be a writer.' Rebecca Giggs, 2007

‘I’d written more than I had in months because I had everything I needed within a three meter radius: cooking utilities, en suite, armchair, and a truly enormous desk. With no distractions, I became more absorbed in my writing and research, sifting through hundreds of images of disused copper smelters, caved-in power stations and crumbling hospitals. It was truly inspiring to work in the home of a writer as revolutionary as Katharine Susannah Prichard, high up in the hills of Greenmount.’ Jarryd Luke, 2014
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Algatress
Highly Important Member
Location: QLD, Brisbane, 4051, 50 R- Oh wait, this is the internet.

Re: Young Writers Residency

Postby Algatress » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 4:10 pm

Wow, this sounds amazing. I'm not sure if I'll fly all the way to WA for this though. :|

I'll look into it.
I now have a totally intentionally badly-drawn profile picture! Hurray!

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Re: Young Writers Residency

Postby Peter McLennan » Fri, 21 Aug 2015 7:04 pm

Due to insufficient applications at the closing date (today), KSP Writers' Centre is EXTENDING THE DEADLINE for its 2015 Young Writers paid 10-day Residency to 5pm Friday 28 August 2015.
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Return to “Resources”