Dealing with self-doubt

Links and references to information about writing
Forum rules
Add references that are especially helpful; don't try to list everything you can find.
Regulars can add to the resources database, which is better organised and more enduring.
Rkcapps
Site Admin

Dealing with self-doubt

Postby Rkcapps » Tue, 13 Mar 2018 8:51 pm

Rath Darkblade

Re: Dealing with self-doubt

Postby Rath Darkblade » Wed, 14 Mar 2018 10:22 pm

:lol: You know, it's impossible to feel any self-doubt after watching Jenna, because... well, just because. (I'm trying to avoid all the cliches like describing Jenna as "bubbly" or "effervescent"). :P Hey, I've got one! :D Just because Jenna's videos are so cheerful, and because she isn't afraid to use strong language when necessary. (And sometimes when it isn't, depending on your views on strong language). ;)

I saw the title of this thread and the title of the video, and immediately thought of my thread of a couple of days ago. But hey, the world isn't about me! ;) Just 'cause I was down in the dumps a couple of days ago, it doesn't mean that other writers don't go through the same thing every once in a while. In fact, it reminds me of a good story about Robert Benchley (1889-1945), the American humourist:

Benchley was stuck on a piece one day, unable even to get started. To clear his head he took a walk, then returned to his room and typed out the word "The".

Back out he went, joining a friendly poker game and having a few drinks. He returned to his work in better humour, but still could make no headway.

Sitting at his typewriter, he stared at the page for a moment, then typed out, "hell with it." to complete the sentence, and left for the day. :D
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

CageSage
Extremely Important Member

Postby CageSage » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 7:13 am

I am 55% of the way done so far. It's a good entertaining read, I am caught up in her hopes/fears.

That's a comment from a first reader of the new novel. The book is out, and people are reading it, and rather than the euphoria moment, this is when doubt sets in. Things like the following go through my mind:
Well, that's the good bits; what if the main climax isn't strong enough? what if Reader doesn't understand this? or that? What if, what if, what if ... should I pull it now? Rewrite this part, or that part? Should I just pull it and forget it?
What if it sucks?
---
And then, when I get back to work, I pull up the new mss (70% first draft complete, which was 'delayed' earlier in the year) and start writing the new story.
We just have to let go. And yes, if it's really bad, I will pull it, unpublish, and trash. But who's going to tell me that? Unless it comes from someone I trust and admire, I'm going to trust my gut and let it fly.
So, please, if you read it and it sucks, please, please tell me (and why it sucks and where, if you don't mind).

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 8:25 am

Um, CageSage, I think you postd this in the wrong place... :) It doesn't seem to make much sense in the current context.
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

CageSage
Extremely Important Member

Postby CageSage » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 9:19 am

It's the self-doubt, even after it's done. When it pops up, even while good things are said, even if ... it's always there, waiting to pop up and grab the writer by the throat, threatens to undo all the 'up' when it first got published. All of that is self-doubt.
And what to do about it? Keep going, walk over the next hill, and leave (most of) the doubting thoughts behind.
Sorry if it sounded a bit off-context, but it was truly the depths of self-doubt that brought me here.

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:58 am

Yes, I totally get that Cagesage. Self doubt is persistent.

You give such great advice Cagesage, it must be ok :)

Return to “Resources”