Removal of non-active members

Announcements about this forum
Forum rules
Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet. If you want more privacy, use the 'Members Only' section instead.
AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Re: Removal of non-active members

Postby AJ Konlucko » Tue, 07 Nov 2017 10:37 am

Some context of some other forums I am a member of to just show how "easy" we make it here:

Forum A:
Membership is manually approved. You must make 10 posts (either new topics or replies) in your first 30 days or your account is removed. Half the forum boards are hidden until you do this.

Forum B:
14 days after your last post you get an email / PM advising that you account will shortly be deactivated. After 30 days you lose access to 75% of the forum (this applies to everybody, incluidng members with 1000's of posts) After 60 days your account is suspended and you have to request this be enabaled again.

Forum C:
90 days after your last post you get an email warning that you need to access the forum and post or your account will be suspended. After 180 days your account is suspended. After 365 days your account is removed and you need to create a new one.

While these might seem like extreme measures, NOBODY IS FORCING ANYBODY TO BE A MEMBER ON HERE, BUT IF YOU DO WANT TO BE A MEMBER, YOU HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO BE ACTIVE AND CONTRIBUTE TO THE FORUM.

If somebody has been a member for over a year, has NEVER posted and has not been active in over a year, why keep an account for them? I would rather be a member of a forum with 25 members who are active and post than one with 1500 members who don't.

Maybe the forum has ran it's course and I am just beating a dead horse trying to get this place active and moving? For a forum about writing we sure seem to have a lot of members who don't want to post...

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Tue, 07 Nov 2017 10:46 am

Terence Charles wrote:PGB himself was absent for quiet a while when he decided to return to his main hobby with radios and didn't involve himself with writing for a while.
'

And in that case my account should have been disabled , removed...

Terence Charles
Very Important Member

Postby Terence Charles » Tue, 07 Nov 2017 12:52 pm

PGB you seem to belong to, and favour some very DRACONIAN groups!

You make the statement
And in that case my account should have been disabled , removed...
And yet HERE YOU ARE... still a member and posting regularly, (and it seems addicted to capitalisation)

I really can't see how deleting members from anything is a way to get it
ACTIVE and MOVING.

Again, what is the problem with contacting members who appear inactive and asking if they wish to still remain a member, or is something missing for them from the Forum or if they can suggest a way to make the Forum more appealing to them so they are more active in the Forum.

Personally, I read the Forum's posts most days, but I don't often involve myself with the writing challenges etc.

Short stories etc., are not my preferred genre, but I don't feel that this makes me ineligible to be a member. I'm currently almost at the end of a WIP (730000+ word count at the moment) and perhaps this will change, but I think the Forum can be of value to many people who are in the process of writing..

I prefer a group that is supportive and helpful, rather than one that is authoritative and demanding. I would think the less rules and demands there are, the better to help and encourage members battle with their writing difficulties!
Terence Charles - 'ThiefTakers'
http://terencecharlesblog.wordpress.comImage

Enzed
Super Important Member

Postby Enzed » Tue, 07 Nov 2017 5:48 pm

Hi Paul (PGB),

There was quite a reaction to the nasty behaviour of a previous member who went by the alias of 'BettyBoop' when she/he stalked you on our forum, having crossed swords with you on another of the forums you belonged to. It had nothing to do with any of us and the way in which she tried to undermine your confidence by attacking your writing was quite sinister. I think it made our members quite cautious about posting work for review in case 'BettyBoop' was still hanging around and possibly stealing work to claim as her/his own.

It's such a pity that it happened at all, and if some members are still apprehensive about posting work because of that experience, then that's unfortunate but entirely understandable.

I agree with Terrance that it is much more important to help and encourage all our members to advance by being supportive to each other as we develop skills and gain confidence. It's not mandatary to post work. That's a matter of trust so we need to restore trust to the forum if that is what's lacking amongst people who have dropped off. Tolerance and patience build trust.

I also like Terrance's suggestion to send out an email to members who have not logged on for a year, asking them if they wish to remain a member and if they have any suggestions that would encourage them to return. I strongly suspect that some of them dropped off after the 'BettyBoop' fiasco. People don't like that kind of unpleasantness and want nothing to do with it. They find their support elsewhere.

Writers tend to be protective of their writing anyway. I didn't post any of my 'Boomer Junction' novel chapters for review here because I paid Rob Munro to edit them instead. I preferred to use an experienced / professional editor. I know others here have done the same. And of course, I only knew of Rob through this forum and he has been a very valuable contact for many of us.

This forum helps many of us in many different ways. We are not all in the same place.

Joss
Joss Shawyer
Amazon

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 8:27 am

Enzed wrote:Hi Paul (PGB),

There was quite a reaction to the nasty behaviour of a previous member who went by the alias of 'BettyBoop' when she/he stalked you on our forum, having crossed swords with you on another of the forums you belonged to. It had nothing to do with any of us and the way in which she tried to undermine your confidence by attacking your writing was quite sinister. I think it made our members quite cautious about posting work for review in case 'BettyBoop' was still hanging around and possibly stealing work to claim as her/his own.

It's such a pity that it happened at all, and if some members are still apprehensive about posting work because of that experience, then that's unfortunate but entirely understandable.

I agree with Terrance that it is much more important to help and encourage all our members to advance by being supportive to each other as we develop skills and gain confidence. It's not mandatary to post work. That's a matter of trust so we need to restore trust to the forum if that is what's lacking amongst people who have dropped off. Tolerance and patience build trust.

I also like Terrance's suggestion to send out an email to members who have not logged on for a year, asking them if they wish to remain a member and if they have any suggestions that would encourage them to return. I strongly suspect that some of them dropped off after the 'BettyBoop' fiasco. People don't like that kind of unpleasantness and want nothing to do with it. They find their support elsewhere.

Writers tend to be protective of their writing anyway. I didn't post any of my 'Boomer Junction' novel chapters for review here because I paid Rob Munro to edit them instead. I preferred to use an experienced / professional editor. I know others here have done the same. And of course, I only knew of Rob through this forum and he has been a very valuable contact for many of us.

This forum helps many of us in many different ways. We are not all in the same place.

Joss

That is a very good point and something I had not considered. I will let this rest now for a while.

lmunch
Forum Member

Postby lmunch » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 10:17 am

Was BettyBoop really her name or something made up? What actually happened? Would it make a good story?

chicmech
Very Important Member

Postby chicmech » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 10:28 am

hahahaha lmunch!! I was going to ask the same thing!
I needed a hero so that's what I became!

PaulE
Site Admin

Postby PaulE » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 10:55 am

Some things are best left in the past. Besides, Paul may want to use it for a story. :)
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." - Angel

Terence Charles
Very Important Member

Postby Terence Charles » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 11:25 am

Let's just hope that PGB's final comment
I will let this rest now for a while
Doesn't mean that this will all be raised again in ten or eleven months!

Seems a pity that some of the more positive suggestions about contacting non-active members appear to have been ignored.
Terence Charles - 'ThiefTakers'
http://terencecharlesblog.wordpress.comImage

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 11:49 am

lmunch wrote:Was BettyBoop really her name or something made up? What actually happened? Would it make a good story?

Made up. Long story but they had some issues with me and joined up to basically attack me. They were found out and the matter dealt with.

PaulE wrote:Some things are best left in the past. Besides, Paul may want to use it for a story. :)

Not much chance of me making it in to a story.

Return to “Notices”