Removal of non-forum pages

Announcements about this forum
Forum rules
Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet. If you want more privacy, use the 'Members Only' section instead.
AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Removal of non-forum pages

Postby AJ Konlucko » Mon, 21 Nov 2016 4:17 pm

All the non-forum pages (basically anything that does not start with http://www.australianwritersforum.org.au/forum) is being removed in the near future. Peter and I are working on redirecting everything to the main forum page.

If you have anything on any of these pages which you wish to save, NOW would be a great time to do it (y)

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Re: Removal of non-forum pages

Postby Peter McLennan » Mon, 21 Nov 2016 4:28 pm

PGB wrote:If you have anything on any of these pages which you wish to save, NOW would be a great time to do it

This is good advice. In particular, everything on the resources pages will go. I'll take a backup copy before I wipe it, but extracting anything useful from the backup of those pages would be very difficult.
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Enzed
Super Important Member

Postby Enzed » Mon, 21 Nov 2016 8:32 pm

Thanks, I deleted a link to a cover designer.

We have a better option in Rob Munro who can supply a high standard of cover design and for a better price.
Joss Shawyer
Amazon

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Fri, 25 Nov 2016 8:03 pm

I'll have a go at this tomorrow (26 Nov) morning. It shouldn't affect the /forum pages so I won't take the forum off-line, but there's a small risk. If you're contemplating typing a Tolstoy-esque post at the time, you may be glad of copying your text to clipboard every so often.
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Sat, 26 Nov 2016 7:27 am

Done (I think). http://www.australianwritersforum.org.au now redirects to /forum; search engine records have been updated so the hit on SEO for this change should be zero.

In addition, all of the non-phpBB pages have been removed. Using old links to any of these will now result in 404 errors. There will be a SEO hit due to the loss of this content.

There is still at least one link in the forum structure that points to one of the now-deleted pages ('Rules'). I didn't remove this, to prompt Those Who May Follow to recreate the subject matter elsewhere. There may be other such links lurking; my scan was superficial.
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Sat, 26 Nov 2016 4:25 pm

Thanks Peter.

Return to “Notices”