Removal of non-active accounts

Announcements about this forum
Forum rules
Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet. If you want more privacy, use the 'Members Only' section instead.
AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Re: Removal of non-active accounts

Postby AJ Konlucko » Tue, 01 Nov 2016 2:11 pm

I guess I will just leave this well alone...

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Thu, 03 Nov 2016 8:33 am

BettyBoop_71 wrote: Surely the whole point of a forum is to have people posting?

This is my thoughts exactly... The whole reason we have a forum is for people to post. If people join up and never post, why be a member?

BettyBoop_71 wrote:I say give them a year and then remove anybody who is a member but has 0 posts. If after being a member for a year they have not even posted once, get rid of them.

We have two ways of approaching this.
- Being a member at least 1 year and having 0 posts = 671 members would be removed
- being a member at least 1 year and not having been active in the past year = 1125 members would be removed. This would include some members with 300+ posts but they have not been active since 2013/2014 so I doubt they are coming back.

At this stage I am "happy" to leave it but welcome feedback and comments either way.

Enzed
Super Important Member

Postby Enzed » Thu, 03 Nov 2016 9:11 am

Peter made some good pints about the reason to leave it as is - including not losing search engine visibility. That's how many of us found this forum.
Joss Shawyer
Amazon

Rkcapps
Site Admin

Postby Rkcapps » Thu, 03 Nov 2016 9:33 am

I agree with removing non-active members in principle but not if it means losing our "hits" in a search engine. As Joss and Peter pointed out - that's how many of us came to be here.

Betty, without the volume of inactive members we would lose our "hits" when people search. So, if we want writers to find us we need those inactive members. Does that make sense? Just trying to help...

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Thu, 03 Nov 2016 9:44 am

I can see benefits either way but will leave things as they are for the moment.

PaulE
Site Admin

Postby PaulE » Thu, 03 Nov 2016 11:46 am

I also found the forum through a search on Google. Unless someone is familiar with SEO (Search Engine Optimisation), and could offset the drop in hits from a vast reduction in members, I'd suggest not removing the inactive members.
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." - Angel

AJ Konlucko
Site Admin

Postby AJ Konlucko » Thu, 03 Nov 2016 2:26 pm

Thanks for ALL the feedback. I am going to close this thread and will leave things as they are.

Return to “Notices”