Resources List

Announcements about this forum
Forum rules
Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet. If you want more privacy, use the 'Members Only' section instead.
OzFenric

Re: Resources List

Postby OzFenric » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 11:04 pm

Something I've used in the past is a pretty simple DHTML hidden panel with a toggle switch link on the title. You wrap each section in a <DIV> </DIV> tag, style it to "display:none" and put a simple javascript routine into the header to accept a section name and, if it is visible, turn it invisible, and if invisible, turn it visible. With this you can have the page as a list of sections and if someone wants to access it they simply hit the "show" link and it's right there. No need for multiple pages and menu structures.

Let me know if you'd like assistance with this... I've done more than a couple and can provide the basic code for the switch routine.
Sleep is for tortoises.

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Sat, 18 Oct 2014 7:08 am

Wonderful: thanks again. Yes, it's too long for one page (and will hopefully get longer). I'll work out how to split it up.
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Mon, 27 Oct 2014 5:09 pm

As directed by Rath ;), I've restructured the resources list so that it only displays one section at a time. This required a change to the address: it's now http://www.australianwritersforum.org.au/resources.php.

Oz: thanks. I considered that approach, but one reason to split it up was to reduce the page load time and server resource usage. (Our server is cheap.) AJAX would have allowed that, in addition to the advantages you mentioned, but I got lazy.
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Return to “Notices”